3/11/12

In the Spring . . .

In the Spring a fuller crimson comes upon the robin's breast;
In the Spring the wanton lapwing gets himself another crest;
In the Spring a livelier iris changes on the burnish'd dove;
In the Spring a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of love.
Alfred Lord Tennyson

A few weeks ago I saw a bright red cardinal sitting on our deck armrest hirping right at our window. "What is that?" Mom asked
"I don't know" I said, since I didn't. (the blinds were closed) Mom came over and pulled open the blinds a little
"Oh," I said,"It's a cardinal, cheeruping at our window."
"Oh how pretty!"
"Yeah!"
Mom went back to her sewing, asking me to give her reports, since He didn't seem to be doing anything. Suddenly another cardinal (a Girl) flew down and landed below him on the deck itself. she pecked at seeds there and while I was telling Mom what I was seeing the male cardinal flew into the pine tree that was his home. She flew up to the armrest, chirped for a second then followed him to the pine tree. Mom walked slowly over to the window and looked out slowly then said "I think we have some Love-birds nesting in the pine over there."

Not only that but later, I saw some mourning doves flying into another pine a little further down our line in neighbors.

Then only a few days ago we saw a few robins in our own lilac.

There is Spring in the air. You can tell.

poem clipping from Lockesley Hall
http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/174629

No comments:

Post a Comment