1/31/13

Escapades on the Route. Part 1 of many.

Hey everybody!

It's me, Dashman, posting for the first time! :) 

I just wanted to share some experiences about driving the paper route that I share with Bunny.  I wanted to share them, because they seem funny in hindsight; though sometimes precarious at the time.  Lemme share a little background first.  I got sucked into the paper delivery world a couple years back, when a friend at work (who I'll call Lumpy) stopped working there rather sudden-like.  Another co-worker, and friend, 'Pops' suggested he get a paper route to help pay the bills.  He did, and when he started, they recommended he find someone who could sub for him, as they were not responsible for covering his days off.  Enter Dashman, willing to try anything at least once.  Long story short, that route didn't last very long for Lumpy (better opportunity through fambily connections); but I was hooked.  Where else can you drive around in the middle of the night throwing things at peoples' houses without getting arrested?  So I agreed to start subbing for Pops.  Then he wanted to quit, being fairly older and I seamlessly slid into his position.  I started on Thanksgiving, when everyone who has ever ordered a paper in their lives gets one for free, and they're twice as thick as Sundays.  (Did I mention I only do weekdays? :) )  Time to recruit some help.  I asked Bunny and Bird to come along, seeing as I only had to deliver my regular customers the way I usually would.  It was great fun.  Fast-forward a ways, and Bunny is helping out part-time; meaning three out of five days.  We always have a blast, and take great pride in delivering to the door; unlike our arch-nemesis who throws his papers on the driveways.  It gets particularly interesting in the snow, as we found out last year.  My truck, affectionately named Snoopy, is rear-wheel drive and tends to fishtail a little.  It's fun when you are all alone on the road, and you can leave your pretty patterns for others to marvel at until the city decides to clean up after you. :)  Anyway, we pulled into a cul-de-sac to deliver, and dropped off our papers.  Swinging out, I gunned the engine to get through the snow.  We went in a neat little circle, ending up facing the right direction, but on the other side of the street.  As we never left the cul-de-sac, it was kind of funny.  I looked at Bunny and said, "Let's try that again.  I don't remember eating any ice cream." (reference funny saying by uncle that I will have to explain later.)  We pulled out of the cul-de-sac without much problem, laughing about our escapades.

Stay tuned for more, because there's always more happening in the wee hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment